Digi-KVC™ (Kitchen Ventilation Hood)
Digi-KVC is an aftermarket technology for kitchen ventilation control. It provides a fan power energy savings of up to 50% and also improves total building system balance. Typical kitchen HVAC issues:
- Cooking units generate a substantial number of heat and airborne cooking by-products. Examples of such by-products include water vapor, grease particulates, smoke, and aerosols.
- The kitchen air is exhausted to remove the cooking effluent and must be replaced with new (make-up or conditioned) air so that the space does not have an overly negative pressure.
- Most restaurants have constant speed AC motors on their exhaust hoods and make-up air fans that act independently of each other.
- Make-up fans are the main means of providing replacement air for ventilation purposes.
- Kitchen areas need to have a slight negative pressure in order to keep cooking by-products and conditioned air away from the RTU.
Click on the links below for more information about the Digi-KVC
- Coordinates the kitchen exhaust fan and make-up air fans so that they no longer function independently
- Modulates the exhaust and make-up air fans
- Creates a slight negative pressure- an ideal environment for managing food effluent and cooking by-products
- Monitors the exhaust air temperature level at the kitchen exhaust hood in order to monitor the load change and reduce the fan speed
- Up to 50% reduction in fan power through the application of variable speed controls
- Keeps the kitchen exhaust and make-up air system in balance to ensure an adequate building pressure
- Reduces heating and cooling energy by conditioning additional outdoor air for make-up or transferred air
How does the Digi-KVC save energy?
- The Digi-KVC modulates the kitchen exhaust fan speed based on the kitchen load. Therefore, it saves exhaust fan power at partial loads.
- The Digi-KVC reduces the makeup air intake at partial loads when the exhaust air is reduced. Therefore, it saves cooling/heating energy.
Does the Digi-KVC modulate the makeup air unit speed?
- Yes, it modulates the makeup air unit fan speed based on the kitchen exhaust air volume.
What kinds of sensors does the Digi-KVC use?
- The Digi-KVC utilizes the kitchen exhaust temperature sensor and the kitchen VOC sensor.
Does the Digi-KVC work with the existing controls?
- Yes, the Digi-KVC works with the existing on/off control.
I have several kitchen hoods, do I need one for each hood?
- Yes, a separate Digi-KVC is needed for each kitchen hood.
Where will the sensors be installed?
- A duct mounted temperature sensor will be installed in the kitchen hood exhaust duct.
- A wall mounted VOC sensor will be mounted on the kitchen hood wall.
What is the install time for the Digi-KVC unit?
- It typically takes 2 hours to install a Digi-KVC unit.
How much energy is typically saved?
- 60% fan energy savings
- 15%-30% heating and cooling energy savings
What is the warranty policy?
- The Digi-KVC has a one year parts warranty.
What type of maintenance procedures are required?
- A bi-annual check-up of the variable frequency drive is required.